Thursday 23 April 2009

I can has blog?

Because of course, the net desperately needs another writer blogging about their experiences, right? ;)

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My name is Chris, though if you're here you probably know that already. I'm twenty five years old, and live in Bristol where I have an entirely unremarkable job checking data for an insurance company that nobody has ever heard of. I'm a geek, and spend a fair amount of time reading both novels and comics, playing video games and seeing movies. And I write.

Writing is my passion. It's amazing, then, just how little of it I do. Either I don't have the time, or my muse is on the fritz, either giving me lots of little ideas that refuse to coalesce into an actual thing, or just stubbornly refusing to come up with anything at all. For someone who aspires to being a published author, I really don't devote nearly as much time to writing as I should, and it's just not good enough.

I am a writer though. This is an inescapable part of who I am. I read something a few years ago where someone was saying about when people asked them why they were a writer, and the question was laughable to them, and it might as well have been 'why do you breathe?' That's exactly how I feel. I took an extended break from writing last year to sort out a bunch of shit that was going on in my life, and by the end of it my brain was rebelling and making me write. That break was good in a way, as it made me realise just how much I need to write. I write in an attempt to understand the world around me. I write in order to sort out the thoughts going on in my head. I write to amuse myself. But, most of all, I write because I can't imagine not writing.

So that's the main reason for this blog. The idea is that if I post here about writing it'll force me to actually do the bloody thing more. I'll also possibly post up some short little pieces of writing, if I can get anything I feel confident enough to share with you all. Apart from that, I'll post about life in general and it's trials and tribulations, and there might be the odd review or two.

Oh yes, it's going to be quite the adventure. Fancy joining me? Come on, let's go!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! It's so easy to spend ages thinking about writing, and then not bloody do it. If I had spent that time actually squeezing the words out, I'd have finished Bad Apple Bone ages ago ;)

    ReplyDelete